National Electrical Code Articles and Information
National Electrical Code Top Ten Tips: Article 342 through Article 362 -- Conduits
Based on the 2017 NEC
by Mark Lamendola
Please note, we do quote from copyrighted material. While the NFPA
does allow such quotes, it does so only for the purposes of education
regarding the National Electrical Code. This article is not a substitute
for the NEC.
These are the 10 NEC Article 320 through NEC Article 340 items we deem
most important, based on the pervasiveness of confusion and the
potential costs of same.
- NEC Article 342 through 362 contain the requirements for various
types of conduit. Remember that, and your life will be much easier.
- Note that conduit is a subcategory of raceway. EMT is not a type
of conduit It's a type of raceway.
- Each Article in this series provides the uses permitted and the
uses not permitted.
- NEC Article 350 presents requirements for Liquidtight Flexible
Metal Conduit: Type LFMC. Note that the smallest allowable trade
size is 1/2, and the largest allowable trade size is 4. There are
limits on length and bending.
- Article 356 provides the requirements for Liquidtight Flexible
Nonmetallic Conduit: Type LFNC. The requirements are similar to
those of Type LFMC, but there are some differences. For example,
there are no exceptions to the requirement for installing a
- NEC Article 352 presents the requirements for Rigid Nonmetallic
Conduit: Type RNC. Any fittings used with the conduit must be
Listed. You cannot use plumbing pipe fittings with RNC. There are
limits on where you can used this. Note, also, that you must provide
expansion fittings with RNC.
- NEC Article 354 presents the requirements for Nonmetallic Conduit
with Conductors: Type NUCC. You cannot use Type NUCC in exposed
locations or inside buildings.
- All types of conduit must be supported.
- You cannot use any conduit to support other wiring.
- Refer to the tables in Chapter 9 for raceway fill requirements.
Codebookcity is a subsidiary of Mindconnection, LLC. If you have any questions,
comments, or concerns, please write to sales @ mindconnection.com. We do want